Welcome to the District Mechatronics Program Website!
Currently, our students are designing and building competition robots to compete in the VEX Starstruck Competition.
ROBOTICS AND AUTOMATION PROGRAM
In an emerging mechatronics industry, students who are aspiring to become programmers, designers or engineers, will have the opportunity to participate in a project based technology program in mechatronics and manufacturing.
The Robotics and Automation Program will provide interested students with the opportunity to study a multidisciplinary combination of courses that blends knowledge in electronics, mechanics and computer programming to design intelligent mechatronics (electromechanical) systems and devices.
WHAT DOES SOMEONE WORKING IN ROBOTICS AND AUTOMATION DO?
- design, install and repair robotic and automated hardware and equipment
- inspect and troubleshoot mechanical, electrical, and electronic systems
- understand electrical theory and schematics
- determine requirements for new systems and modifications
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
- up to 16 graduation credits
- a portfolio of actual projects designed and built
- connections with employers through work practicum
- greater understanding of future cutting edge and developing technologies – microelectronics, computer engineering, biomedical engineering, multimedia and telecommunications
- a foundation in hands-on, technical and theoretical knowledge to support transition to post-secondary studies and future employment in automotive, manufacturing, biomedical, aerospace, or consumer products
WHAT DO I NEED TO START?
- going into grade 11 or 12
- enrolled in Math 11 or 12
- knowledge of physics is an asset
- strong interest in designing and building robots
- aptitude for working with computer hardware, software and electronics
- good employability skills
WHEN AND WHERE IS THE PROGRAM OFFERED?
- Alpha Secondary School on Day 1’s (afternoons)
- attend current school to complete other courses (Day 1 mornings and Day 2’s)
HOW DO I REGISTER?
- submit an application package
- participate in a program interview